Saturday, August 30, 2014

seeing the other side of the fence

What do you know?

I spent the whole afternoon asleep rather than studying org chem and practicing for tap dance like I said I would. Way to go for being productive. Not that I minded, though. I clearly could use more of those kind of naps. Sleep. I've really taken you for granted way back when I was younger and yes, I somehow regretted not listening to Mom and Grandma's advice. If only I slept back then the way I slept now, I would have been able to score much height. 



BUT THAT ISN'T WHY I AM WRITING TODAY.


You see, I met Jason Haw yesterday! :)


YES. 



I MET JASON HAW! :))))))


Okay. Background check:
Jason Haw was last year's Health Sciences Society's, my home organization's, president. He is brilliant (yes, just like any Health Sciences major is :P). Well, he is more than that to us actually. He is THE Jason Haw. He is the one we turn to when Org Chem spells disaster. He can answer almost anything you ask him about, may it be math, physiology, love, name it. He is always ready to give you a piece of his mind. Through his words and actions, you can always hear his love for public health. Clearly, through his magnificent transcript, he could get into any med school he preferred and right he did with a scholarship anyone can dream of (Well, I do.) He belonged to Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health's Batch 2019. And you read that right. Past tense. Why? He dropped out. 

There you go. One night I read on Twitter that he was coming over and was open for individual consultations (IC). Luckily, he still had some time to meet me. :) I really wanted to know of his perspective because as far  as  my block goes, almost everyone is set out to go for med school. Well, me? I was wondering if I could do something else. I was hoping if I could do other stuff than prescribe the right medicine to cure the ill. Not that I do not want that kind of life. I've always wanted to become a doctor. (That was after I wanted to be a cashier, beauty queen, actress or a teacher but you know how we are as kids. Always undecided.)


After seeing partly how the public health situation in our country, after hearing stories of what can still be done, I thought maybe there are other ways I can serve than being a clinician. 


He talked. I listened. I told him of what I thought. He gave me a reassuring smile and said,
"You know what's the good thing and bad thing in our country's public health system? You've seen it. You've heard about it. We've still got a long way to go. Out there, basically, it's just like getting in a swamp. You know that there is so much to do and that is something we could all both be happy and distressed about. You see my point? All you have to do is get out there and apply what you learn. Our course, it provides you with almost everything you need. What you need to have is courage. You need to have the heart to take the risk. In the end, it would still be your choice. Don't worry, Ella. You still have two and half years to decide and I do hope you choose well."


Yes, I still have a long way to go and I do hope, in the end, I choose what makes me happy just as Jason did with his own. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...